2011-12 Syllabus (rm. 300)
In this semester long course students will learn the basics of photography, digital camera operation, creative controls and F-stops, basic printing techniques related to Adobe Photoshop. Building on techniques in Photoshop, altered photographs as well as with printmaking on the press in the studio, students will create a series of artworks inspired by the photograph. Through the study of master photographers works, students will learn the use of the critique process and develop a more sophisticated vision to the world around them.
*To familiarize the student with various techniques in digital photography and Photoshop.
*To study elements and principles in art as they relate to photography.
*Students will develop a working portfolio as well as an online portfolio.
*Students will learn a four step criticism process.
*Students will have the opportunity to participate in some of the art exhibitions throughout the semester.
*Each student will better realize their own “personal signature” in their art!
This is a studio class with lecture, film study, group and individual work.
Project grades are based upon the following :
30 pts---- Completion of project/ within the time frame.
25 pts.--- Turning the work in on time & according to the directions given.
25 pts.---- Concept usage in relationship to the topic & use of elements and principles
20 pts.--- Use of time each day on project/In class work.
Did you leave a mess? Did you leave materials out on your table? Did you place all of your materials in the proper designated storage? Points (up to 5 each class) will be deducted for these offenses. Additional detentions could be added for habitual offenders.
There will be written quizzes, critiques and tests as well as a final research paper and presentation.
There will be homework in this class. The majority of the picture taking will be homework. Extra credit is not given in this class. If the opportunity becomes available then it is open to every student in the class and not just a few.
The student’s grade will be determined with straight points with no averages of categories. Late work is accepted for one week with a 10 point reduction each school day after the due date unless prior arrangements are made with the teacher.
A digital camerais needed for this class as well as a memory stick.
Supplies will be purchased by the instructor with the $25.00 student fee that is to be paid to the business office. You will receive a bill from the Business Office in a few weeks for this fee.
- All school handbook rules apply and will be enforced in my class.
- Respect! For me and for each other as well as for all materials in the room and school property.
- BE on time for class and enter in dress code.
- When permitted to talk at your table, do so quietly and with respect to all. No loud outburst of laughing.
- NO FOOD, DRINKS OR CANDY permitted. This is a school rule, however, you may chew gum in my class as the administration allows each teacher to make that decision.
- Have your required materials with you for class.
- You are responsible for your table area and that includes the floor space. The entire table will be docked points if a mess is left and I do not know who left it.
- Projects are due the first day after an absence. Make arrangements, schedule an appointment with me for additional time. You are responsible for getting your assignments for missed work. I do not look you up to give this to you.
- During any announcements and prayer, you must remain silent.
- After you put your materials away at the end of the class sit in your assigned seat…..do not stand in the doorway.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE RULES WILL RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
* A warning.
*Teacher detention/detention center/Saturday school
*Conference with your parents, or coach, or Mr. Unger, and myself with you included.
Teacher Availability & Contact Information
Availability: Wednesdays after school or any other time made by appointment.
Contact Information: email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Fastest way to reach me!)
Voice mail: 461 – 3740 x 404