CJ Rebuilds for the 2012-2013 Season
The CJ Quiz Bowl Team made its first trip to the state finals in 2012, and finished tied for 7th. Now it is time to rebuild for 2012-2013. The team graduated seven seniiors, included four of the five varsity starters. Coach Jim Sparrow is looking at a large pool of new recruits, testing their cognitive skills at practices on Monday and Tuesday mornings in the pre-dawn hours, hoping to find the right combination of canny veterans and new players to lead CJ to its seventh straight GCAL championship.
10 Questions 4 Raymmond Hall, Quiz Bowl JV Captain
1. How many members are there in Quiz Bowl this year?
2. Do you have a JV and reserve team that compete as well?
Yes, there is a varsity, JV A, and JV B team.
3. Who are this year’s captains?
Mike Manovich is captain of varsity, Raymmond Hall is captain of JV A, and John Daughtery is captain of JV B.
4. Does the team have a goal set for the year?
The varsity wants to qualify for state. All three teams want to go undefeated in the Greater Cincinnati Academic League.
5. What is your take on the team this year and its drive toward competition?
Our team is extremely dedicated (our practice attendance is so good that there is a race to arrive early enough to actually get a buzzer), and it shows in our competitions. Our JV teams could probably beat several varsity teams, and each team member is able to make invaluable contributions.
6. What is your team’s main strength?
I like to believe that we practice more—we have more knowledge than most teams and are faster than most teams.
7. What’s been the most exciting moment of the year so far?
All three teams going undefeated in the regular season play, thus making all of us at the top of our divisions.
8. What this season are you looking forward to the most?
Initially I was just looking forward to going to competitions and exhibiting our knowledge and drive to other schools.
9. Why did you join?
I joined out of a want and need to expand my knowledge base and to improve my ability to recall facts out of thin air.
10. Why are you still a member?
I enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie associated with the team, and out of a basic thirst for knowledge.