For the fourth consecutive year, the Girls' Greater Cincinnati League track trophy will make its home in one of the glass cases lining the hallways of Chaminade Julienne High School. This summer, some Eagles among the class of 2012 (who have been partly responsible for returning the prize to CJ each year since 2009) had the pleasure of marking its base once again with a new placard bearing the name of their alma mater.
DID YOU KNOW
Sizing up the Streak: The women’s track program is the first at CJ to win four outright league titles in consecutive years since the men’s basketball team accomplished the feat by finishing atop the then six-team GCL North division every season from 2002 to 2006.
The Golden Years: In the team’s championship span from 2009 to 2012, the program:
- accounted for more than 50 percent of the student-athletes named first team all conference
- accounted for just less than 50 percent of the student-ahtletes named second team all conference
- produced two Athlete of the Year awardees in classmates Alexandria Coleman ‘12 (co-runner, 2009) and Cierra Brown ‘12 (runner, 2012), and
- never had a coach fail to win Coach of the Year honors (Trey Coleman from 2009 to 2010 and Jerry Puckett from 2011 to 2012).
Taking it to the Tourney: The Eagles carried their regular season success into the pre- and post-seasons in each championship year (view team records), placing:
- first overall in the Division II district meet three times (2010, 2011, 2012), and finishing fourth in the 2009 Division I district meet.
- first overall in the 2012 Division II regional meet and finishing as runners-up in 2010 and 2011
- third overall in the 2012 Division II state meet (with individual winner Cierra Brown earning two titles in the 100 and 300 meter hurdles), and eighth in 2011, and
- first overall in consecutive OATCCC indoor track state titles in 2011 and 2012.