Hundreds of Dayton area families took to the hardwood and filled the halls of the CJ STEMM Center at the 3rd Annual Hoopla Challenge and 1st Annual STEM Education Event on Selection Sunday, March 16.
In partnership with the Dayton Hoopla's celebration of the NCAA First Four games, CJ hosted a basketball shooting competition for grades K-8 for a second consecutive year. Students competed for prizes including posters, Hoopla t-shirts, autographed basketballs, tickets to the 2014 NCAA First Four games at UD Arena, iTunes gift cards and 15 iPad minis.
New this year, guests were invited into the classroom for hands-on exhibits and demonstrations by professionals from many of the country's top science, technology, engineering, math and medicine (STEMM) organizations.
The afternoon kicked off in Mary, Our Lady of Victory Gymnasium at 1 p.m., and a free Marion's pizza lunch was enjoyed by all in the cafeteria. A big THANK YOU goes to our special guest speakers who welcomed families and to our STEMM exhibitors who engaged eager young learners.
- General Lester L. Lyles, commander, Air Force Materiel Command at WPAFB.
- Colonel Cassie B. Barlow, commander, 88th Air Base Wing at WPAFB.
- Derek Porter, president of Dayton Power & Light.
- Jim Jabir, head women's basketball coach at the University of Dayton.
- Scott Sullivan, president of SelectTech Services Corp.
- JP Nauseef, chairman of the Local Organizing Committee.
- Matt Farrell, volunteer committee member.
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)
- Innovators Robotics
- Ohio Robotics, Inc.
- Premier Health
- Sinclair Community College
- St. Albert the Great Energy Team
- University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI)
- WPAFB Educational Outreach
- Wright State Research Institute
- Wright State University College of Engineering & Computer Science