Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School celebrates its Commencement ceremony Tuesday, May 26 at 7 p.m. at the Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center. Chaminade Julienne's Class of 2015 has 165 students and nearly 99% of the class has applied for post-secondary education.
Graduating first in her class is Caroline Chick (Holy Angels, The Ohio State University) followed by Grace Saunders (Holy Angels, Miami University.) Margot Duffy will deliver the welcome speech and Elizabeth Sinnathamby will deliver the farewell speech during the graduation ceremony.
This year's graduates will be attending 49 different colleges and universities. Many graduates are staying in the area, enrolling at Sinclair Community College, University of Dayton, and Wright State University, while others will stay in state, attending Bowling Green State University, University of Cincinnati, and Akron University, to name a few. There are also several Chaminade Julienne graduates who will be attending schools across the nation and the world including Saint Mary's College, Purdue University, Alabama A&M University, and the University of Waikato in New Zealand.
Several students have been recognized for their outstanding accomplishments at Chaminade Julienne. The faculty and staff annually honor three seniors who best exemplify the three pillars of the
- for her commitment to faith, dedication to learning, and demonstration of school and family spirit, Catherine Grady received the Founder's Award;
- David Marshall received the Michael D. Trainor Award, named in honor of Chaminade Julienne's principal from 1999-2004, which is given to a student who has regularly demonstrated intellectual curiosity;
- and for best exemplifying the Chaminade Julienne spirit, Gretchen Theil received the Gerard "Fuzzy" Faust Award, named in honor of the legendary CJ teacher and coach who served from 1933-1980.
Other achievements of the Class of 2015 include:
- More than $9.9 million offered in university and private scholarships, and grants to 102 graduates.
- 9,877 hours of community service during the Class of 2015's four years at Chaminade Julienne, including Puja Harjani who contributed 504 hours in her four years.
- 5 graduates, Matthew Boudinot, Erin Carmody, Emily Meyer, Monica Rains and Grace Saunders, being named Commended Students by the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- 1 graduate, Aaron Talib, being named an Outstanding Participant through the National Achievement Scholarship Program.
- 2 graduates, Helen Wittman and Daniel Meyer, receiving the OHSAA Scholar-Athlete Scholarship award.
- 2 graduates, Erin Staley and John Hawthorn, receiving OHSAA Archie Griffin Sportsmanship Award.
- 1 graduate, Mitchell Knight, receiving the OHSAA Courageous Student Award.
- 1 graduate, Puja Harjani, receiving the OHSAA State Sportsmanship, Ethics and Integrity Award.
- 2 graduates, Emily Meyer and Matthew Boudinot, receiving the NFHS National Award of Excellence certificate.
- 22 four-year varsity letter winners.
- 64 graduates who are members of the National Honors Society.
- 23 graduates who are Presidential Academic Award recipients.
- 18 graduates who are Presidential Achievement Award recipients.