The 150 graduates of the Chaminade Julienne Class of 2016 will graduate on Monday, May 23 at 7 p.m. at the Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center. Nearly 97% of the Class of 2016 will be continuing their education and 103 students received $12,678,922 in scholarships for their studies. The seniors will attend 53 different colleges and universities in the fall including the University of Dayton, Miami University, Florida State, Louisiana State University, and Saint Mary's College to name a few.
Three seniors have also committed to serving our country through the military: Adam Oppy (Ohio National Guard), Andrew Roderer (Army) and Caitlin Erbacher (attending the New Mexico Military Institute, then the Merchant Marine Academy before becoming an officer in the Navy).
Will Huffman (St. Christopher, University of Notre Dame) was named the top of his class. Additionally, Huffman was named a National Merit Finalist and Scholarship Winner. Allison Huffman, Thomas Krug, and Cameron Woodard were named Commended Students by the National Merit Scholarship Program. Taylor Burrows (St. Christopher, University of Notre Dame) and Allison Huffman (St. Christopher, University of Notre Dame) were named this year's salutatorians.
Three seniors were also recognized by the CJ faculty/staff with annual awards that best exemplify the three pillars of the school's mission:
- for her commitment to faith, dedication to learning, and demonstration of school and family spirit, Mo Zopff received the Founder's Award;
- Jillian Hammerly received the Michael D. Trainor Award, named in honor of Chaminade Julienne's principal from 1999-2004, which is given to a student who has regularly demonstrated intellectual curiosity;
- and for best exemplifying the Chaminade Julienne spirit, Stephen Hoendorf received the Gerard "Fuzzy" Faust Award, named in honor of the legendary CJ teacher and coach who served from 1933-1980.
Additional accomplishments from the Class of 2016 include:
- 10,903.25 hours of community service during the Class of 2016's four years at Chaminade Julienne, including Suzie Phillips who contributed 630 hours in her four years;
- Allison and Will Huffman receiving the OHSAA Scholar-Athlete Scholarship Award;
- Lauren Peltier and Matt Weckesser receiving OHSAA Archie Griffin Sportsmanship Award;
- Taylor Burrows receiving the OHSAA Courageous Student Award;
- Michael Carper and Caitlin Erbacher receiving the OHSAA State Sportsmanship, Ethics and Integrity Award;
- 29 four-year varsity letter winners;
- 65 seniors who were members of the National Honor Society;
- 39 seniors who were Presidential Academic Award recipients;
- 6 seniors who were Presidential Achievement Award recipients;
- and, 22 seniors who remained on the honor roll for 15 consecutive quarters.
Congratulations to the Class of 2016!
Posted May 20, 2016