If you could take a peek at what your future might hold, would you? That opportunity, in theory, awaits students at CJ on a nearly weekly basis.
Professionals and college representatives who are eager to share their knowledge, experiences and expertise visit campus regularly to speak with tomorrow’s generation of young leaders here at CJ. All students are encouraged to attend these talks to get a feel for possible college and career paths.
Listen to the morning announcements to hear when speakers are in the building. Guests are welcomed and introduced over the P.A. on the day of their visit.
Here’s a sampling of what students can expect:
STEMM Idol Speaker Series
This semi-monthly series, open to students in all grades, showcases area professionals, including CJ alumni, who have successful careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, math and medicine. Sessions are generally held on Tuesdays during each of the four homeroom periods in the Trainor Library.
Luis Garcia (pictured above), an industrial engineer with Next Level Partners, served as the first STEMM Idol of the 2014-15 school year on September 2. He introduced the industrial engineering field as a perfect fit for those with a knack for problem-solving and left students with one piece of advice: “Follow your passions,” he said.
The next STEMM Idol presentation is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 9. A list of dates and potential speakers is posted online at www.cjeagles.org/cj-stemm/idol-speaker-series and updated as guests are confirmed.
College Rep Visits
Did you know that college rep visits are not just for seniors? Juniors, and even sophomores, are encouraged to come learn more about college life, financial aid, scholarships and more.
The guidance office organizes sessions each month with representatives from schools all across the country. To attend one of these sessions, students should be sure to follow the proper steps.
- Register on Family Connection. To do so, log in and go to the “Colleges” tab. Click “View All Upcoming Visits,” then click “Sign Up” to register. Finally, click the “Sign Me Up” button.
- After registering online, pick up a yellow College Representative Conference Pass in the guidance office.
- Fill out the form and obtain teacher permission for all classes you will miss. Do this at least 24 hours before the visit.
- On the day of the visit, report to class first for attendance then go to the designated location where the college rep will be speaking (if unknown, check in with guidance).
- Finally, ask the college rep to sign your yellow pass and return it to OSS in order to receive a pass to go back to class.
- A complete list of college rep visits is posted in the Guidance Bulletin. Juniors and seniors also receive email notifications through Family Connection. If you have questions, contact or email Emily Saunders, admin. assistant, at (937) 461-3740 x243.