With the help and expertise of local science, technology, engineering, math and medicine (STEMM) professionals, 11 students were selected to advance from the 2013 CJ Science Fair to the Montgomery County Science Day on March 2.
Thanks to the 12 judges who volunteered their time the evening of Feb. 7 to meet, hear from and share insights with this year’s 18 participants across grades 9-12 who presented projects in the cafeteria.
Partnering judges included three CJ alumni and represented eight local STEMM institutions including for-profit businesses, non-profit and government organizations, colleges and hospitals.
- Beth Burke, education specialist; Five Rivers Metroparks
- Clint Doolittle, manufacturing/mechanical engineer; GE Aviation
- Felicia Graham ‘86, environmental compliance coordinator; City of Dayton Dept. of Water
- Joy Haley, research chemist, materials and manufacturing directorate; WPAFB AFRL
- Deborah Hoffer, manager, quality systems and microbiology, Rogosin Institute
- Debbie Janis, RN, BSN, health care marketing and communications; Good Samaritan Hospital
- Karen Mumy, microbiologist, WPAFB NAMRU-D (U.S. Navy)
- Marigrace Ryan ‘70, biology professor, Sinclair Community College
- Jonathan Spowart, materials; WPAFB AFRL/RXBC
- Ken Turner, GE Aviation
- Bruce Wagoner, marine biologist
- Curt Zahn ‘73, senior health, safety and environmental engineer; Tenneco Inc.
The following students received a rating of Superior or High Excellent and qualified to enter their projects in the county science fair at the University of Dayton’s College Park Center.
- Taylor Burrows ‘16; "Which type of sweetener tastes the sweetest?"
- Sarah Chapman ‘14; "Skyglow"
- Caroline Chick ‘15; "Electrolytes in Drinks"
- Amanda Draeger ‘16; "The True Cost of Healthy Eating"
- Margaret Geraghty ‘15; "Permanence of Permanent Markers"
- Annemarie Krug ‘13; "The Effect of Sound on the Memory of Autistic People"
- Abby O'Loughlin ‘15; "Prolonging the Life of Cut Flowers"
- Deter Spees ‘16; "How Sweet It Is"
- Matthew Weckesser ‘16; "How is Rubber Band's Elasticity Affected by Temperature?"
- Tom Weckesser ‘14; "Bridges - Can You Truss 'Em?"
- Helen Wittman ‘15; "Does Gender Affect an Adult's Memory?"